Tuesday, October 21, 2008

More on Maps

First picture is Maps 4 - physically replaced the dark dark block from Maps 3 with the blue block and also stopped trying to be so regular with the blocks. Seems to work better - I think because it is one of those bits of fabric with light and dark patches.

THEN I finally learned how to replace colours! THIS is seriously FUN. Of course I may never be able to find the right fabrics but now I understand how to liven up a quilt - good old Colour Theory 101. Red and green are complements so in Maps 5 (digital) lime and pink do the same job.


THEN I discovered how to convert to black and white - Maps 6. This is interesting - shows the major part colour plays in this quilt - composition is ok but not strong.

Also I think - too much thinking! A lot of what works is just instinctive. If it makes you excited then its working....

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Well done - I love the first one with the darks replaced. And I agree about the instinct feeling - that thump of excitement when you just know it's going well! I tend to be a bit of an over thinker myself you know...

Helen said...

b&w b&w wouldn't it be great in murky charcoal b&w's??? Me no think, and that gets me in trouble. I just procrastinate about sarting. Symnposium deadline must be getting close.....